PSU Brandywine Malta Sicily 2018
Saturday, March 10th, 2018
Malta is an archipelago in the central Mediterranean between Sicily and the North African coast.
It’s a nation known for historic sites related to a succession of rulers including the Romans, Moors, Knights of Saint John, French and British.
It has numerous fortresses, megalithic temples and the Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum, a subterranean complex of halls and burial chambers dating to circa 4000 B.C.
Brochure & Documents
Day 1 - Departure - JFK New York
3:00 PM – Group will depart from Brandywine Campus by coach to go to JFK. airport in New York.
Check-in at terminal 1 should be no later than 8:00 PM to take
Alitalia flight AZ# 611 leaving at 10:25 PM to Rome.
Day 2 - Malta - Mellieha, Malta
Arrival Rome Fiumicino airport at 12:40 PM. Continue to Malta with connecting flight AZ#888 leaving Rome at 3:30 PM and arriving Malta a airport at 4:55 PM
Meet your Guide, Robert Aqualina at the airport for transfer to the hotel.
6:00PM – Check into your hotel. MARITIM Antonine Hotel & Spa
Dinner on your own. Recommendation:
o AL PONTE PIZZERIA & RESTAURANT
George Borg Olivier Street. Mellieha, Malta – +356 2289 2289. firstname.lastname@example.org
o DA CICCIO CUCINA, Triq Dun Frangisk Sciberras, Mellieha – +356-2289-4473
o COMMANDO RESTAURANT, Misrah Iz-Zjara tal-Papa, Mellieha – +356-2152-3459
o RABEKAH’S RESTAURANT, 12 Triq it-Tgham, Mellieha +356-2152-1145
o THE HILLTOP RESTAURANT, Triq Gorge Borg Olivier, Mellieha +356-2152-1101
George Borg Olivier Street. Mellieha, Malta – +356 2289 2289. email@example.com
***REMIND STUDENTS TO BRING THEIR STUDENT CARD WITH THEM TOMORROW TO SHOW PRICING IS VALID ON HAGAR QIM ENTRY PRICE***
Day 3 - Malta - Mellieha, Malta
Step back in time over 5000 years, with a visit to a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The temple builders have left their significant mark on the island with a multitude of temple sites. Ħaġar Qim was first excavated in 1839; its remains suggest a date between 3600 – 3200 BC, a period known as the Ġgantija phase in Maltese prehistory. Continue by visiting the medieval city of Mdina and St Paul’s Catacombs. They are a fascinating labyrinth of 3rd-century AD subterranean tombs and the earliest archaeological evidence of Christianity in Malta.
*** STUDENTS TO BRING STUDENT CARD WITH THEM TODAY***
- 08:00 – Meet Group in Lobby
- 08:15 – Depart Hotel to Hagar Qim Temples, Triq Hagar Qim, Qrendi QRD 2501
- Tickets have been pre-paid and will send a copy to guide
- Contact: Nancy Mizzi- +356-2142-4231
- 09:00 – Hagar Qim & Mnajdra Temples
- 10:20 – Depart Temples to Blue Grotto Boat Experience, Qrendi
- 10:30 – Blue Grotto Boat Experience (Guide to Pay)
- 11:15 – Depart Blue Grotto to Marsaxlokk
- 11:45 – Arrive in Marsaxlokk Fishing Village to view the local market and Lunch on own (Guide will recommend)
- 14:00 – Meet Group at designated meeting point to be arranged with Driver
- 14:15 – Depart Marsaxlokk for Rabat – St. Paul’s Catacombs, Triq Sant Agata, Hal Bjjada RBT 2013, Ir-Rabat
Tickets have been pre-paid and will be sent to guide
Contact: Nancy Mizzi – +3562142-4231
14:45 – St Paul’s Catacombs – Walk or coach to Pastizzi its up to Guide
15:30 – Pastizzi Snacks
- Guide to call ahead and give them a heads up on count of people (41people)
- Guide to pay
- 16:00 – Walk over to Mdina Gate
- 16:15 – Walking tour of Mdina
- 17:30 – Meet Group at designated meeting area to be discussed with Driver
- 17:45 – Transfer back to Hotel from Mdina Gate
- 18:15 – Approximate arrival back to Hotel
Dinner on own
Day 4 - Malta - Mellieha, Malta
Transportation to Valletta where you will learn about the landmark city that the Knights of Malta built. Most of the touring today will be on foot (comfortable walking shoes and appropriate clothing are a must). Enter the majestic gates of Malta; learn about its history, and the Auberges of the Knights. You will see the Lower Barrakka Gardens en route to the Upper Barrakka Gardens and the pristine St John’s Co-cathedral. To set the tone for today’s touring, we will watch the high definition production of the Malta Experience.
- 07:45 – Meet Group in Lobby
08:00 – Depart hotel for transfer to Valletta
09:30 – Arrival in Valletta City Gate
09:45 – Walk over to Upper Barrakka Gardens
10:00 – Walk over to St John’s Co-cathedral – Guide to pay
11:00 – Walk over to Malta Experience Film
- Tickets are pre-paid, will send over ticket to guide
- Contact: Emily Demajo – +356-2552-4010
12:00 – Walk down to Is Suq for quick lunch
13:15 – Meet Group at designated area to be arranged with driver
13:30 – Depart Valletta for Caritas,
5 Lion Street Floriana +356-2123-7935 (starts at 14:00)
13:40 – University of Malta, Msida MSD 2080, +356-2340-2340 (Starts at 14:00)
14:00 – Farsons Brewery, Mdina Rd, Mriehel BKR 3000,
+356-2381-4114 (starts at 14:30)
16:00 – Pick up students from University of Malta
16:30 – Pick up students from Caritas
17:00 – Pick up students from Farsons
17:30 – Approximate arrival at the hotel
Dinner on own
Day 5 - Malta (Gozo) - Mellieha, Malta
Discover Gozo’s splendour: The production of sea salt has a long tradition in Gozo and the saltpans found near Marsalforn are still used today; you will learn of the production and distribution process in which the islands still uses. Next, you’ll venture to the capital of Gozo for a leisurely walk through the village streets on your way to the Citadel. The Citadel, or Citadella,is an area known to have been first fortified during the Bronze Age and later developed by the Phoenicians with continued development until, by Roman times, it had become a complex Acropolis. Up until the 18th Century, it was the only fortified refuge against attack for the inhabitants of the island.
- 08:00 – Meet Group in Lobby
08:15 – Depart Hotel for Cirkewwa
09:00 – Depart on Gozo Ferry to Mgarr
09:25 – Depart Mgarr to the Xwejni Salt Pans, Zebbug Gozo
09:45 – Arrive at Xwejni Salt Pans
10:20 – Meet Group at designated meeting area to be discussed with Driver
10:30 – Depart for The Citadella, it-Telgha tal-Belt, Victoria Gozo
11:30 – Free time in Victoria and lunch on own
14:30 – Meet Group at designated meeting area to be discussed with Driver
14:45 – Leave for Fungus Rock & Blue Hole, San Lawrenz Gozo
15:00 – Arrive at Fungus Rock & Blue Hole
15:45 – Meet Group at designated meeting area to be discussed with Driver
16:00 – Depart for Gozo Ferry Terminal, Mgarr Gozo
16:45 – Arrive at the Terminal for tickets
- Driver to pay for tickets? Peppin to invoice EXM
17:15 – Depart on Gozo Ferry to Cirkewwa
18:00 – Approx Return back to hotel
Day 6 - Sicily - Catania, Sicily
Leave Malta in the early morning. 90 minutes away, Sicily is across the strait of Sicily. On your way to Catania you will visit the city of Syracusa, a UNESCO World Heritage. Here, you will visit the Archaeological Area of the fifth century B.C. with the Greek Theatre, the Roman Amphitheatre, the Altar of Hieron II and the Latomies of Paradise with the Ear of Dionysius. Afterwards, visit the island of Ortigia, with the Temple of Apollo, the Cathedral, important baroque church built on an ancient temple, and the Fountain of Arethusa with the famous papyrus plant. Free time to walk to the Grand Harbour with the “Foro Italico”. Suitable attire when visiting sacred sites is required. Continue to Catania where you will check into your hotel for the next 3 Nights.
- The ferry will be departing Valletta, Malta at 06:30 AM to arrive into Pozzallo by 08:15 AM. sicilian guide be at the port waiting for the group.
05:00 – Depart Hotel for Valletta Waterfront.
06:30- Virtu Ferries Departure VR100
08:15 – Arrival in Pozzallo: meet your guide Auerilliano Garozzo
09:30 – Arrive in Sryacusa for a city tour.
11:30 – Meet Guide at meeting point area to be arranged with Driver
11:45 – Depart for Ortygia
13:00 – Walking Tour of Historical area of Ortygia
- Free time for lunch
15:00 – Depart for Catania
Please call hotel to let them know approximate time of arrival.
16:00 – Arrival in Catania and check into first hotel:
Best Western Hotel Mediterraneo
- Guide to assist with Luggage
16:45 – Arrive at our second hotel for check in – Tra L’Etna il Mare B&B
3 single rooms / 150 meters away – 2 minutes walk
18:00 – Evening on own in Catania with recommendations by guide.
- RESTAURANT TRATTORIA – La Terrazza Del Barone,
Via Lago di Nicito, Via Lago de Nicito, 3/5, 95124 Catania 39 393 914 4118
- TRATTORIA RE CARLO v, Via Plebiscito, 728, 95100 Catania, 39 095 218 0334
- DAL TENERISSIMO, Via Plebiscito, 748,95124 Catania, 39 320 146 5260
- DUE PISTACCHI REST., Via Salvatore Tomaselli, 9, 95124 Catania,
39 389 175 5416
Day 7 - Sicily - Catania, Sicily
Today, be spellbound by Mt Etna, peaking at 10,992 ft from the base of the crater. Today, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Mt Etna was to the ancient Greeks, the realm of Hephaestus and home of the Cyclops. With your local guide we will reach the 1900 meter mark and trek to the recent lava flows and the extinct Silvestri craters..
Option: $75 supplement Take the mountain gondola and a 4×4 Jeep to Torre del Filosofo at 3000 mt. Proceed on foot towards the crater formed during the 2001 eruption. Explore formed lava caves and ancient lava flows. Helmets, Caving lights provided.
In the afternoon you will visit Taormina. The hilltop town is known for the Teatro Antico di Taormina, an ancient Greco-Roman theater still used today. Near the theater, cliffs drop to the sea forming coves with sandy beaches. A narrow stretch of sand connects the mainland to Isola Bella, a tiny island and nature reserve. You will experience the magic and romance the enchanting facade of San Domenico Church and 10th century Palazzo Corvaja. Step back into the 3rd century BC and experience the Ancient Teatro Greco. As you walk down the elegant Corso Umberto you will see why they call Taormina the enchanted village. The rest of the day is yours to explore. Return to Catania after dinner.
- 07:45 – Meet group in the lobby of the hotel
08:00 – Depart for Mt Etna, 95031 Adrano, Catania Sicily
09:00 – Arrive at Rifugio Sapienza at 1900 mt./ 6300 feet – Francoise to Pay
- Group 1 – With Francoise
- Ascend by cable car and jeep up to 2900mt. / 9500 ft (Torre del Filosofo)
- From here we travel on foot towards the crater formed during the eruption of 2002/03, accompanied by Alpine Volcanological Guides. Exploration of a typical lava cave formed during the past eruptions (helmets and caving lights are provided by our guides)
- Groups 2 – with Aureliano
- An easy going trekking activity at about 2000 mt. of altitude above sea, to explore ancient and recently formed craters. From here we can observe the whole eonian coastline. Exploration of a typical lava cave formed during the past eruptions. Visit of Valle Del Bove (Valley of the Ox) a huge Caldera formed because of the collapse of some ancient craters
12:00 – Meet the both groups at the base of the mountain
12:15 – Entire group departs for Taormina – lunch
13:30 – Arrive in Taormina for walking tour and fee time
- Time for lunch on own ???? seems late
17:00 – Meet Guide at designated meeting area to be discussed with Driver
17:15 – Depart Taormina for Catania
18:00 – Arrive at Hotel in Catania
Day 8 - Sicily - Catania, Sicily
- 9:20 – Meet group in the lobby of the Hotel to begin Streaty Food Tour.
10:00 – Streaty Tour Meet Guide at Piazza Duomo
- Streaty Tour Guides: Aureliano and Sonia
- Groups to be divided into smaller groups for Steaty Tour
- Duration: 3.5hrs
- Itinerary: Piazza Duomo, Fish Market, Piazza Mazzini, back to Piazza Duomo
- Vendors Visiting:
- Etolie (Deli)
- Mazzini (Deli)
- Scirocco (Fish snacks)
- Sgroi or Prestipino (pastry shop)
- Theme Focus: Food and food business
*** Please be aware that especially street food vendors are not inclined to replay to many questions about their job. We will try without insisting***
***PLEASE REMIND STUDENTS TO REFRAIN FROM ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MAFIA OR ‘PROTECTION FEES’ AS IT MAY SOUND LIKE AN INSULT TO LOCALS***
14:00 – Groups to meet guide at Piazza Duomo and enjoy their last evening in Sicily on their own
Day 9 - Return - Return
10:00 AM – Transfer to Catania Airport for your Alitalia flight AZ#1724, departing at 12:00 PM,
arriving in Rome at 1:20 PM.
Connecting flight AZ#610, leaves Rome at 2:45 PM and arrives JFK Airport at 6:35 PM.
6:35 PM – Your coach will be waiting to bring you back to Brandywine Campus.
- Transfer to and from Penn State Brandywine campus and JFK Airport.
- Round trip air tickets departing from JFK Airport to Malta, and returning from Catania to JFK Airport
- Seven nights’ accommodations at 3* hotels, centrally located in Malta and Catania.
- Interconnecting ferry between Malta and Sicily
- Complimentary Wi-Fi service at the hotel
- Breakfast daily at the hotel
- Airport Transfers in Malta and Sicily
- All excursions and transportation listed in the itinerary
- United Health Care Global insurance provided by Penn State
- Supervision by Penn State faculty members
- Single Room supplement + $315 (Total cost = $2700.00)
- Triple Room discount – $20 (Total cost = $2365.00)
- Mt Etna optional Gondola & jeep trip to the crater = $ 75.00
- Additional sightseeing and activities, such as concert tickets, museum entrance fees, cruises, public transportation, etc.
- Meals other than breakfast
- 3% on any amount paid by credit card or on any online payments
- Cost of mandatory visits as determined by your professor
- Cost of personal items: phone, drinks, etc.
- Passport and visa fees
- Travel insurance coverage for trip cancellation & more
- Online: During your registration, you can submit your payment by e-check or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express). There is a 3% service fee for all online payments. To avoid this fee, you can mail a check or money order.
- Phone: We accept credit card & e-check payments by phone. Credit card payments incur a 3% service fee but there is no service fee for e-checks.
- Post Mail: Your could also mail a paper check or a money order. Checks should be made payable to “Celestial Voyagers” and mailed to the address in the “Contact Us” section. After January 16, 2018, checks must be certified.
All cancellations must be received in writing. The following penalties apply:
- Payment of $350 processing fees are non-refundable
- Penalty of 50% of the total trip cost if cancellation is received between January 3, 2018 and January 26, 2018
- Penalty of 100% of the total trip cost if cancellation is received on or after January 27, 2018, and in case of a no-show.
Everyone needs a passport valid until September 15, 2018. If you are not an American citizen, a visa may be required. A Green Card or equivalent is compulsory.
- All academic arrangements are made with PSU Brandywine campus and confirm agreement to abide by Penn State University’s stipulated rules of conduct.
- Travel documents will be delivered at Penn State Brandywine (date & time TBD). It is most important to attend this meeting or send a substitute. If this is not possible, your professor(s) and Celestial Voyagers MUST be notified. If your documents have to be sent individually, you must submit your request with your mailing address in writing; a $20 shipping and handling fee will apply.
Trip price: $2,385
Single Room supplement + $315 (Total cost = $2700.00)
Triple Room discount – $20 (Total cost = $2365.00)
Mt Etna optional Gondola & jeep trip to the crater = $ 75.00
Air Schedule4901 Malta Sicily Flight Details
|Departure Day||Departure Date||From (airport/terminal)||Departure Time||Flight #||To (airport)||Arrival Time||Layover/stopover|
|Friday||March 2, 2018||JFK (Terminal 1)||10:25 PM||AZ 611||FCO (Rome)||12:40 PM||2 hrs 50 mins|
|Saturday||March 3, 2018||FCO (Rome)||3:30 PM||AZ 888||MLA (Malta)||5:55 PM|
|Saturday||March 10, 2018||CTA (Catania)||12:00 PM||AZ 1724||FCO (Rome)||1:20 PM||1 hr 25 mins|
|Saturday||March 10, 2018||FCO (Rome)||2:45 PM||AZ 610||JFK (Terminal 1)||6:35 PM|
Terms & Conditions
CelestialVoyagers Terms and Conditions relate to specific contracts with various suppliers.
The policies and regulations below must be strictly enforced.
- We require a deposit of $500 in order to secure your reservation
- Remaining balance is due on or before January 16, 2017.
- For payment received after January 16, 2018, a $100 late fee will apply.