Penn State Brandywine Martinique 2018
Sunday, November 18th, 2018
Sunday, November 25th, 2018
Brochure & Documents
Day 1 - Departure JFK - Departure on Norwegian airline from JFK.
7:30 AM Departure from Brandywine campus by private coach to go to JFK.
10:30 AM Estimated time of arrival at JFK airport, terminal 1. Check-in at Norwegian Airline counter. Flight leaves at 1:10 PM and arrives at Aimé Cesaire International airport at 6:35 PM Assistance and transfer on arrival to go to Les Trois Ilets. Check-in for 7 nights at the Hotel Bambu. Buffet dinner including 1 drink.
Day 2 - Full day guided excursion to Fort de France
Transfer to Fort-de-France and Guided tour of the Capital you will visit:
- The Saint Louis Cathedral, and its stainless-steel structure built from 1893 to 1894
- The spice market
- The museum space Aimé Césaire. Poet and writer of international renown, Champion (“Chantre”) of the negritude, friend of André Breton and Picasso, Aimé Césaire was the mayor of Fort-de-France from 1946 to 2001. Died in 2008, his name is registered with those of the great men buried in the Pantheon
- The Schoelcher Library also built with a stainless-steel structure, selected for an exhibition representing Martinique in Paris in 1889 and then dismantled piece by piece to be rebuilt in Fort de France. Roman, Byzantine, Egyptian and Arabic styles are part of the decoration.
- “Sacré Coeur” Church of Balata, beautiful basilica overlooking the city. It is a perfect replica of the Basilica of the “Sacré Coeur” of Montmartre in Paris, but on the scale of 1/6th.
In the afternoon continue the visit of Fort de France with:
- Short visit to the Regional Museum of History and Ethnography located in an ancient bourgeois villa. In this small museum, you will see the reproduction of a typical interior of the past and a great collection of traditional creole costumes.
- Free time for shopping
Return to Les Trois-Îlets for dinner
Buffet dinner including 1 drink.
Day 3 - Full day guided excursion around les Trois Ilets
Buffet breakfast and buffet dinner
Visit The Cane House, La Pagerie, and the Slave Savannah (La Savane des Esclaves)
The Cane House is installed in an old distillery. It traces the history of sugarcane and its interference with the slave trade. Documents and models show 300 years of history and economy from the plantation of the cane, through the all the phases of Rum production. Among the exhibits, you will be able to read the “Black Code” and trace some African origins based on names.
The Museum of La Pagerie. A page of French history took place in this property where Marie-Joseph-Rose de Tascher de la Pagerie, called “Yeyette” by her family, was born in 1763. Her second husband was the famous Napoleon Bonaparte who gave her the name of Josephine and crowned her, himself Imperatrice of France in 1804.
At lunch time stop at the Pottery Village located in a former Jesuit Convent. Restaurants, artists and souvenir shops.
In the afternoon, visit “La Savanne des Esclaves”: a yesteryear village with traditional huts of an early 19th century-style with wooden structures, beaten earth floors and roof work made out of sugarcane leaves. In the heart of this village you will be offered the chance to discover the history and traditions of Martinique. Fruit and vegetables: yam, sweet potatoes, manioc, corn, pineapple, guava, bananas… grow in abundance. The garden also produce a large variety of medicinal plants which are still in use for medical purposes.
Return to your hotel in the afternoon.
Day 4 - TROIS ILETS: Guided excursion to Saint Pierre, the former Capital and to Habitation Ceron
We will drive to the North of the island to St-Pierre. Saint Pierre is the former capital. It was fully devastated in just a few minutes in the early morning of May 8, 1902, by the volcanic eruption of the Montagne Pelée. A little train ride will take you to visit the ruins of Saint Pierre and learn about the story of this town known before as the small Paris of the Caribbean. It has been one of the most famous disasters of humanity.
In the afternoon, visit Habitation Ceron to see the sumptuous blooming park with centuries-old trees.
Return to Les Trois-Îlets for dinner.
Buffet dinner including 1 drink.
Day 5 - Habitation Clement, the Atlantic Coast
Departure to the Atlantic coast. stop in Le Francois, visit of the “Habitation Clement”: The House of the Creole world, the Botanical Garden, the Old Distillery and the storehouses. It is one of the most popular sites on the island. For a couple of hours, you will see the magnificent 18th century Clement family home restored, furnished and reopened in 2005, The home revives wonderfully the past life of its owners. You will revive, step by step, the agricultural production of Rum, walking through the remains of the old distillery. You will also enjoy some Art Exhibits, as you walk along the alleys of the park where Mr. Hayot, owner of the Foundation Clement since 1986, has created a contemporary Art Center to promote the works of Martinican and Caribbean artists.
Buffet dinner including 1 drink.
Day 6 - Guided excursion to the Caravelle Peninsula and visit the Banana Museum
Short hike to the Light House with magnificent views over the Atlantic Ocean. Free time in Sainte Marie and visit the Banana Museum. Buffet dinner including 1 drink.
Day 7 - Last day at leisure
Day at leisure. Enjoy your last day at the beach or in the little town of Les Trois Ilets
Day 8 - Return to the U.S.
5:00AM Early departure with breakfast bag. Check-in at Aime Cesaire International Airport at 6:00 AM. Norwegian Airline flight leaves at 8:05 AM and arrives at JFK at 12:00 noon. Private coach will bring you back to Brandywine Campus
- Round trip transfer by coach between Brandywine campus and JFK.
- Round-trip flight between JFK and Fort de France in Martinique
- Seven nights’ accommodations at Hotel Bambou with either double or triple occupancy
- Buffet breakfast and buffet dinner daily
- One drink with each dinner
- Evening animation
- Complimentary Wi-Fi service in the reception area
- English speaking guide
- Modern motor-coach
- All visits with entrance fees as per itinerary
- Faculty assistance for academic work
- Assistance of Celestial Voyagers representative throughout
- Single room supplement + $590
- Late fee for air tickets purchased after Sept. 18 (supplement will depend on availability – minimum $100)
- 3% merchant fee on any amount paid by credit card
- Cost of personal items: phone, drinks, etc.
- Trip cancellation insurance
- Online: During your registration, you can submit your payment by e-check or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express). There is a 3% service fee for all online payments. To avoid this fee, you can mail a check or money order.
- Phone: We accept credit card & e-check payments by phone. Credit card payments incur a 3% service fee but there is no service fee for e-checks.
- Post Mail: You could also mail a paper check or a money order. Checks should be made payable to “Celestial Voyagers” and mailed to the address in the “Contact Us” section.
Everyone needs a passport valid until May 25, 2019. If you are not an American citizen, a visa may be required. A Green Card or equivalent is compulsory.
- Late registration and late payment will be subject to a late fee of $100 minimum + airfare supplement from the airline
Double occupancy is not guaranteed due to the limited number of rooms. You may be subject to triple occupancy.
We highly recommend to book early as space is limited.
Trip price: $2,295
Single Room supplement + $590 (Total cost = $2885.00)
- Deposit is non-refundable
- A penalty is 50% of the total trip cost if cancellation is received between Monday, September 17 and Wednesday, October 3, 2018
- A penalty is 75% of the total trip cost if cancellation is received between Thursday, October 4 and Friday, October 19, 2018
- A penalty is 100% of the total trip cost if cancellation is received after Friday, October 19 and for no-show
- In case of cancellation replacement by a new passenger is accepted with a name change fee of $250 + $100 processing fee.
- Twin or triple room accommodation are at the same price and may be necessary due to the limited amount of rooms.
Air Schedule6028 Penn State Brandywine Martinique
|Departure Day||Departure Date||From (airport/terminal)||Departure Time||Flight #||To (airport)||Arrival Time (local time)|
|Sunday||11/18/2018||JFK||1:10 PM||D84951||Martinique (FDF )||6:35 PM|
|Sunday||011/25/2018||Martinique (FDF )||8:05 AM||D84950||JFK||12:00 PM|