Penn State Harrisburg Rome 2019
Friday, March 1st, 2019
Saturday, March 9th, 2019
INART 001 (3 credits)
This course critically engages with the concept of “spaces” with a focus on the city of Rome. By studying and experiencing Rome’s history, public and private spaces, architecture, arts, and contemporary functions, students will be asked to examine why and how the existence of spaces and our interaction with those spaces influences our personal experience and understanding of Rome’s astounding heritage. Combining in-class lectures, on-site visits, and student research, this course aims to provide students with a basic understanding of the Eternal City and its effect on the larger Western world.
Brochure & Documents
Day 1 - Departure
5:00 PM Departure from Penn State Harrisburg campus to Newark Liberty International Airport Check-in at Norwegian Airlines terminal B should be no later than 8:00 p.m. Flight DY7194 leaves for Rome Fiumicino Airport, Rome, Italy at 11:00 p.m.
Day 2 - Arrival Rome
1:05 PM Arrive at Rome Fiumicino Airport.
Assistance and transfer to your hotel. Check-in to the Gran Palatino hotel for seven nights.
3:30 PM Your guide will take you on a coach tour to see the main landmarks of the Eternal City including the Colosseum, the Arch of Constantine, the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, Circus Maximus, Piazza Barberini, Saint Peter’s Square and the main churches that you will visit later on during the week: Santa Maria Maggiore, Saint Peter in Chains, Saint John Lateran and Saint Paul Outside The Walls. Your guide will also explain how to use public transportation, exchange money, and how to get your weekly pass to travel freely in Rome using public buses and the subway.
5:00 PM Visit the Saint Mary Majors Basilica
6:30 PM Welcome dinner at the restaurant, Carovana. Menu: Canzone Dinner
Day 3 - Rome
Morning at leisure
Mass at Santa Maria Maggiore Basilica which is walking distance from your hotel.
2:00 PM Guided walking tour of the Old City. You will use the subway to go to the Spanish Steps.
In the afternoon, take the subway to the Spanish Steps where you will meet your guide for an afternoon walking tour of the Old City, including the Spanish Steps, the church of the Santissima Trinita dei Monti, the Trevi Fountain, and Piazza Navona, Piazza Barberini
4:00 PM Visit the Pantheon (inside visit),
Day 4 - Rome - Tour of the Vactican
9:30 AM Following breakfast, take a one-way transfer to the Vatican for a morning tour of the Museums, the Sistine Chapel and Saint Peter’s Basilica.
10:30 AM Entrance to the Vatican Museum & Sistine Chapel (including rental of whisper)
12:00 PM Entrance to St Peter Basilica (including rental of whisper)
There will be free time at the Vatican for a quick lunch (on your own) or for shopping for souvenirs. Tickets provided to take the lift to the top of the Dome where you can enjoy the beautiful mosaics and beautiful perspectives of the inside of the Basilica. You may also enjoy spectacular 360-degree views of St. Peter’s Square and the city of Rome by climbing a spiral staircase.
Continue the visit to see Castel Sant’Angelo and walk to Trastevere, the Bohemian district of Rome filled with “trattorias,” pubs and artisan’s shops.
On Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere, view the gilded, mosaic-filled church. Relax with dinner at a local trattoria in Trastevere.
Day 5 - Rome
8:50 AM your coach and guide will meet your group at the hotel for a walking tour of ancient Rome where you will visit the Colosseum, Palatine Hill and the Forum. You will visit Saint Peter in Chains, built in the 5th century to house the relic of Saint Peter’s chains from when he was imprisoned in Jerusalem. The church is also renowned because it houses Michelangelo’s statue of Moses. Visit Saint John Lateran, mother and head of all churches in Rome and in the world, and Saint Paul’s Within the Walls, the first Protestant Church built in Rome, also known as the American Church in Rome. Wrap up the tour with a visit to Santa Maria Maggiore, “major” because of its size – the largest Marian Church in Rome.
9:00 AM The group will walk to Peter’s in Chains
9:45 AM Entrance to Colosseum, Palatine and Roman Forum (including rental of whisper) – Photo stop at Arch of Constantine, Circus Maximus, Monument of Vittorio Emanuele II
1:00 PM Visit St. John Lateran Basilica (UNESCO listed)
2:30 PM Lunch (on your own)
Afternoon is for academic activities with faculty.
Day 6 - Rome - Full day excursion to Florence.
a full day excursion to Florence is planned:
Boxed breakfast at the hotel,
6:15 AM Assistant & Transfer from the hotel to Train Station
7:20 AM Take FRO Train 9508 from the Termini Station
8:51 AM Arrive at Santa Maria Novella station where you will meet your guide for half day sightseeing.
9:45 AM First stop is the Accademia Gallery (entrance including clients own whisper) to see the David statue and how Michelangelo started a sculpture from a block of stone. Next, you will visit the Duomo, the Baptistery, Palazzo Vecchio, Piazza della Signoria, Santa Croce, Ponte Vecchio.
12:00 PM Entrance to Uffizi Gallery.
Lunch and the rest of the afternoon are on your own.
8:00 PM A coach service drive to Piazzale Michelangelo for a panoramic view of Florence ends the day’s excursion. Dinner at Fiesole or a local restaurant before returning by coach to the Termini train station.
9:13 PM Train n. 8927 Firenze SMN (Smart class)
10:45 PM Arrive in Rome; Transfer from train Station to Hotel
Day 7 - Rome - Full day excursion to Tivoli
8:00 AM you will enjoy a full day excursion to Tivoli. Depart from the hotel by coach to the little hilltop town of Tivoli.
8:30 AM Visit the St. Paul Outside the Walls Basilica (including clients whisper)
10:00 AM Entrance to St. Callisto Catacombs (including Guided Tour)
12:00 PM Lunch at Antiche Terme Di Diana – Menu:
1:30 PM Visit the gardens and fountains of the Villa d’Este, a masterpiece of Renaissance architecture. This 16th century palace boasts glorious gardens with Baroque fountains designed by the master sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
3:00 PM Enjoy an afternoon visit to Villa Adriana, once the holiday home of the 2nd century Roman emperor, Hadrian. Stroll with your guide among the vast expanse of ruins, with their temples, baths, and theaters and learn about daily life in Roman times.
Return to Rome
Day 8 - Rome
Following breakfast, a full day for academic activities with faculty.
Day 9 - Return
After breakfast, enjoy some free time in the morning.
1:30 PM Your coach will transfer you to Rome Fiumicino Airport at 2:00 p.m. Check-in at Norwegian Airlines counter at terminal T3 no later than 3:00 p.m.
5:45 PM Flight Norwegian Airlines DY7193 leaves Rome Fiumicino airport
9:00 PM Arrive at Newark International Airport
Upon arrival, meet your driver and coach to return to the Penn State Harrisburg campus.
• International airfare with Norwegian Airlines from Newark to Rome
• Shuttle bus transportation between the Penn State Harrisburg campus and Newark Liberty International Airport
• Airport taxes and fuel surcharge – subject to increase before ticketing
• Seven-night accommodation at Gran Palatino – double occupancy per itinerary
• Buffet breakfast daily
• Welcome dinner and show
• Lunch in Tivoli
• English speaking local guide
• All transfers and sightseeing with entrance fees as per itinerary
• Single room supplement $435
• Service fee of three percent on any amount paid by credit card
• Excess baggage fees at the airport
• Upgrade to hotel accommodations and activities
• Meals not included in the itinerary
• Additional excursions or activities not mentioned in the itinerary or reserved in advance
• Gratuities for guides and drivers while in Rome
• Transportation, except where noted in the itinerary
• Personal expenses
• Passport fees and visa fees – Passport should be valid until September 12, 2019
Everyone needs a passport valid until September 16, 2019. If you are not an American citizen, a visa may be required, a Green Card or equivalent is compulsory. If you intend to travel internationally, apply for your passport immediately. Failure to provide passport information may delay airline ticketing for our group.
Visas are not required for United States citizens traveling to Italy. All international students are responsible for determining if a visa is required and should immediately apply for the visa. Please check the website at schengenvisainfo.com/italy-visa/ for Schengen tourist visa requirements. Refunds cannot be made if a visa is not issued. Also, alert the International Programs office if you are applying for a visa
- Written cancellation received between November 29-December 20, 2018 will incur a penalty of $500 (loss of full deposit).
- Written cancellation received between December 21, 2018-January 4, 2019 will incur a penalty $2,036.25 (75 percent of the total trip cost).
- Written cancellation received after January 4, 2019, or no-shows incur a penalty of 100 percent of the total trip cost – $2,715.
- Online: During your registration, you can submit your payment by e-check or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express). There is a 3% service fee for all online payments. To avoid this fee, you can mail a check or money order.
- Phone: We accept credit card & e-check payments by phone. Credit card payments incur a 3% service fee but there is no service fee for e-checks.
- Post Mail: You could also mail a paper check or a money order. Checks should be made payable to “Celestial Voyagers” and mailed to the address in the “Contact Us” section.
To register for course credit:
1) Meet with your academic adviser to discuss how this course will impact your educational progress. Have your adviser sign a drop/add form to add this class. Forms are available at www.registrar.psu.edu/registration/dropping_courses.cfm.
2) Contact the travel agency (contact information on back panel) to make a deposit or pay the total cost of the trip and obtain a receipt.
3) Take your signed drop/add form and travel agency receipt to the Office of the Registrar in the Swatara Building to complete enrollment in the course.
• Mandatory pre/post-trip meetings, group reading, journal, etc., during the spring 2019 semester.
• Students must be free of any current conduct reviews or conduct sanctions. Eligibility will be verified, and each participant grants permission for verification by the Office of Student Conduct. Any violation of the PSU Student Code of Conduct (studentaffairs.psu.edu/support-safety-conduct/student-conduct/code-conduct) while traveling will result in class failure.
Award funds are available to undergraduate honors students through the Penn State Harrisburg Honors programs. The University also has funds for students traveling internationally. For details, visit gpglobalea.gp.psu.edu and select the “Scholarships and Grants” link. A limited number of travel awards are available through the Penn State Harrisburg Office of International Programs. The application deadline is October 19, 2018. Please visit: harrisburg.psu.edu/international-programs/grants-and-awards.
Course registration is separate from trip registration.
Upon receipt of your deposit, Celestial Voyagers will send you a receipt that you must present at Penn State Harrisburg’s Office of the Registrar to register for the course.
All efforts have been made to choose comfortable, moderately priced hotels in order to keep the price of the trip reasonable.
Gran Palatino Hotel
Via Cavour, 213/M, 00184, Roma RM, Italy
Phone: +39 06 481 4927 • hotelpalatinoroma.com
Air Schedule6034 PSH Rome Flight Details
|Departure Day||Departure Date||From (airport/terminal)||Departure Time||Flight #||To (airport)||Arrival Time (local time)|
|Friday||03/01/2019||Newark, NJ||11:00 PM||DY 7194||Rome, FCO||1:05 PM+1|
|Saturday||03/09/2019||Rome, FCO||5:25 PM||DY 7193||Newark, NJ||9:00 PM|
Terms & Conditions
CelestialVoyagers Terms and Conditions relate to specific contracts with various suppliers.
The policies and regulations below must be strictly enforced.