Tibet Shoton Festival 2019
Wednesday, August 21st, 2019
Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019
Brochure & Documents
Day 1 - Departure
Fly from New York to Guangzhou (Recommended flight CZ#600 Leaving 1:45 AM (schedule subject to change). Other flight arrangements could be made if you wish to visit Beijing, Shanghai or other places in China)
Day 2 - Arrival China
Arrive Guangzhou 05:45 AM. Follow signs to clear immigration formalities and claim your luggage. Meet Celestial Voyagers representative outside immigration and luggage claim. You will have a quick overview of Guangzhou, a sprawling p ort city northwest of Hong Kong on the Pearl River. Connecting flight Guangzhou Dali, MU#5734 Leaves at 12:05 and arrives Dali at 18:20. Assistance on arrival and transfer to your hotel. Check-in for 3 nights: Gurong Hotel 4* (or similar) You could also leave one day earlier and rest in Guangzhou to adjust to jet lag.
Day 3 - Dali
9:00 AM Meet your guide for a full day sightseeing of Dali which includes: A walking tour through the Old town to see the South Gate, the church, the local market and the three pagodas. In the afternoon drive to Cangshan Mountain to visit a small tea plantation. Pick up tea and make tea.
Day 4 - Dali
9:00 AM Meet your guide for a full day excursion to the villages of Xizhou and Zhoucheng:
● Morning market to buy some fresh vegetable and edible flowers for cooking class.
● Cooking class at Bai Courtyard
● Visit Bai architecture and learn to make Rushan (local cheese).
● Learn how to make and drink three courses tea.
● Visit old stage and tiedyed workshop.
● Drive to Rose Garden and learn how to make Rose Cake.
Day 5 - DALI - SHAXI - LIJIANG
9:00 AM Departure with your guide for Lijiang. En route, visit Shaxi Town, Xingjiao Village, grottoes on Shibaoshan Mountains Lijiang is a Unesco World Heritage Site. situated in the northwest part of China’s Yunnan province, it is home to the Naxi and several other ethnic minority groups. A commercial center in the 1300s, its old town encompasses cobblestone streets, canals and Central Market Square with shops and restaurants. Black Dragon Pool has famed views of the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain range, fronted by the Moon Embracing Pavilion. Check in at hotel for 2 nights. Palace Hotel 4* (or similar).
Day 6 - LIJIANG
9:00 AM depart for a full day sightseeing of Lijiang which includes:
● Walking tour of Lijiang Old Town through small paths and canals
● Climbing to Wangulou Pagoda for a bird view of the old town
● Visit the former residence of the botanist Joseph Rock in Yuhu Village
● Fresco in Baisha Village
Day 7 - LIJIANG - ZHONGDIAN
9:00 am Departure with your guide to Zhongdian. En route you will visit:
● Stone drum Park, the first bend of the Yangtze River in Shigu
● Tiger Leaping Gorge with soft trekking in the gorge
Arrival to hotel around 5:00 PM. Check in for 2 nights: Hilton Garden Hotel 4* (or similar) ShangriLa as formerly called Zhongdian. It was renamed in 2001 after the fictional land of ShangriLa, in the 1933 novel “Lost Horizon” by James Hilton.
Day 8 - ZHONGDIAN
09:00 AM Meet your guide for a full day sightseeing of Zhongdian which includes:
● Visit to Songzanlin Monastery
● Meeting a Tibetan Family in a village and learn how to make yak butter tea
● Visit to Ringha Monastery
● Walk in the old town and visit Giant Pray Wheel
Day 9 - ZHONGDIAN - LHASA
07:30 AM: Meet your guide to go to the airport to take your flight to Lhasa Zhongdian Lhasa flight MU#5939 10:35 12: 40. Assistance and transfer on arrival to go to your hotel. Check in for 4 nights: Hotel Four Point by Sheraton 4* (or similar). Remainder of the day for acclimatization to the altitude which is just over 12 000 feet. Lhasa is the capital of the Tibet Autonomous Region. It is built on the Lhasa River’s north bank in a valley of the Himalayas.The red-and-white Potala Palace once served as the winter home of the Dalai Lama which counts around 1,000 rooms,
Day 10 - LHASA
This is the first day of the Shoton Festival in Lhasa. Shoton means yogurt banquet. It is also called The Tibetan Opera Festival as well as the Buddha Exhibition Festival. Hundreds of Tibetan people gather at Drepung and Sera monastery. They come up, well dressed in their ethnic costume to see the famous Buddha Thangkas or “Mandalas” which depicts Buddhist deity scenes showing the life of the Buddha. As you visit Lhasa during the Festival, here are some of the unique experiences you will see during the religious and folk festivities:
● Lamas carrying the giant Jampa Thangka and hanging on foothills
● The sound of sutra bugle reverberating through the valley.
● Giant hanged Jampa thangka at Drepung and Sera monastery.
● Tibetan opera performance at Norbulingka Palace.
● Exciting horse race with the presentation of traditional horsemanship
● Wonderful and unique yak racing
● Men or women, young or old, dress in their gorgeous clothes
● Colorful tents setting up everywhere
● Tibetan foods and drinks served on their carpet in front of the tents
● Lively dancing and singing by these fascinating people
● Tibetans throwing White Khada on the giant Thangka.
Day 11 - LHASA
All the visits of Lhasa will be organized around the Festival events.
Day 12 - LHASA
All the visits of Lhasa will be organized around the Festival events.
Day 13 - LHASA - XINING
9:00 AM Meet your guide to go to the train station and board your train for a 22 hour train ride from Lhasa to Xining, in the province of Qinghai. Along the journey, you will enjoy stunning views of the Tibetan Plateau as you cross the 1972 kilometers which links the 2 cities, (soft sleeper cabin) Depart Lhasa 11:15 AM
Day 14 - XINING
Arrival Xining at 08:55 AM. Meet your guide at the train station and commence your visit of Xining which includes:
● Xining Museum
● Ta’Er Monastery
● Local market
Official checkin time at the hotel is 3:00 PM for immediate occupancy rooms must be booked for the previous night. Zhongfayuan Hotel 4* (or similar)
Day 15 - Return
08:00 AM Meet your guide to go to the airport for your flight to Guangzhou Xining / Guangzhou CZ#3250 11:00 am 2: 25 PM. Arrive Guangzhou, meet assistant at the airport Connecting flight out of Guangzhou is CZ#699 leaving at 8:00 PM and arriving JFK 11:00PM You could also leave one day later and overnight in Guangzhou if you have a different connection for your return.
$3,495 per person in a twin room
- Accommodations with breakfasts daily, service vouchers and service charges
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary (B = breakfast, L = Lunch & D = dinner) (food & one glass of soft drinks)
- All transfers and sightseeing as specified in the itinerary by private vehicle and accompany by an English speaking local guide (different guide in each city)
- Entrance fees while sightseeing
- Local bottled water during sightseeing
- Meet and assist service at Guangzhou Airport
- Lhasa/Xining Overnight Train – one berth per person in soft sleeper cabin
- Air ticket: Guangzhou/Dali (via Kunming), Zhongdian/Lhasa & Xining/Guangzhou flights in economy class + airport taxes
- Porterage at the hotels
- Tibet permit
- Service vouchers
- Any accommodations/meals/transfers/sightseeing other than specified
- Travel insurance (recommended)
- Any flights and excess baggage charges
- Personal expenses such as drinks, laundry, telephone/fax/telex charges, etc.
- Tipping to local guides and drivers
- Any visas (China Visa is compulsory for this trip)
- Online: During your registration, you can submit your payment by e-check or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express). There is a 3% service fee for all online payments. To avoid this fee, you can mail a check or money order.
- Phone: We accept credit card & e-check payments by phone. Credit card payments incur a 3% service fee but there is no service fee for e-checks.
- Post Mail: You could also mail a paper check or a money order. Checks should be made payable to “Celestial Voyagers” and mailed to the address in the “Contact Us” section.
We advise all travelers to purchase travel insurance in case of any unforeseen circumstances and if you are no longer able to travel. We offer the following insurance policies through Allianz Travel Insurance: Basic, Classic, and Classic with cancel anytime. Prices vary with age and amount insured.
Click on the link below for more details:
Terms & Conditions
CelestialVoyagers Terms and Conditions relate to specific contracts with various suppliers.
The policies and regulations below must be strictly enforced.
A deposit of $500 is due upon registration. When registration is made within 60 days prior to departure the full amount of the trip is due.